Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The Shirt Off My Back

When I venture back to my hometown, I pack pretty light. Any hair products and certain clothing items can be found after digging through my sister's things. Thanks buddy :-)

Each time I dip my hand into her t-shirt drawer I pull out one I've never seen before. As some of you may remember, high schoolers need a shirt to represent each event and/or activity they have ever been a part of. Basketball camp. School play. Mock trial. What's next? "I attended lunch in the cafeteria"??

Another thing about these shirts: they are loud. I'm not talking sound loud, I'm talking color loud. They can't just go for the basic white or even gray, it has to be neon green or hot pink. When those teenagers walk in, they want to be heard and seen. They are the greatest attention-seekers on the planet.

The back of these lovely shirts almost always have a saying. This is what separates the group and makes them special. How do they do that? Slap on an inside joke that no one else understands. "Oh Nelly." "Aaah Yeah." "Not In Our House." "Unicorn Princess." And the list goes on....

It may sound like I find this to be quite ridiculous; however, this is not the case. I love every moment of it. The unity these shirts bring tell us all that they would give each other the shirt off their backs.

No comments:

Post a Comment