Thursday, August 25, 2011

Just So Shushable...


I know I shouldn’t be surprised to see strange things in public places. Last night, I went to the public library. Now, I’ve had quite a lot of interesting encounters there. Mostly of people zonked out and drooling. Apparently sleeping in the library is contagious, because that place makes me heavy-eyed.

I was searching for a children’s book to use as a writing prompt in one of my classes; therefore, I was in the land of picture books. Even though it was later in the evening, there were plenty of kids around.

Picture this: an older librarian, re-shelving books, and shushing… over and over and over. First of all, these are kids. They have no idea how to be quiet. Secondly, stop being weird. No one even hears a shush anymore. We have become immune to, “shhhhhh!!!!”

To all of my Nickelodeon lovers out there, remember “All That.” It was similar to a teenage “Saturday Night Live.” Man, I thought it was the greatest thing ever. The shushing incident reminded me of this:


What can I say? Kids are just so shushable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment