Sunday, August 21, 2011

Read it, Roll it, Hole it


Last weekend my friend, Ashley, and I sold raffle tickets at a golf tournament. I grew up playing, watching, and learning to love golf. It is a complex game full of rules, annoyances, and etiquette. Once you’ve perfected your short game, your drives start slicing and your 5 iron continues to shank the tiny dimpled ball. Frustrating and fun all at the same time.

I was on my high school golf team, and rules tests were mandatory each year. It was important to represent our team, our school, and ourselves in a respectable manner. How many penalty strokes for a water hazard? What happens if you hit the wrong ball? What is the procedure when a ball goes out of bounds? And the list goes on. So much to remember! Then there is the “no swearing” rule, which is impossible to abide by. 

I also know the importance of dressing appropriately on the golf course. Therefore, I was surprised to see one of the groups without shirts on. That’s right, their bare backs putting on the green. I know how disturbing tan lines can be, but a golf course doesn’t resemble a swimming pool.

Next time you hit the links, consider these (minimal) slices of etiquette:

Shut your mouth. This doesn’t mean that you can’t have fun. It doesn’t mean that you can’t get excited when knock the socks off your ball. It means, don’t be rude when others are swinging. Pay attention, that’s all.

Replace your divots. Oh… my… goodness. This drives me crazy. No one wants to see a course full of holes. Otherwise, it will start to look like “Chuck Rodent” from Caddyshack got a piece of the tee box.

Don’t drive like an idiot. I know a lot of golf carts have all the bells and whistles, which are tempting to play with. But, golf carts are not small race cars.

Be smart. Wear a seatbelt ;-)

To all of my fellow golfers: be careful out there. And if all else fails, “read it, roll it, hole it.”

(Did you notice any of my golf puns??)

No comments:

Post a Comment