Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Late Harvest Waves


Here in Iowa, the farmers are out in full force. There are combines, tractors, plows, you name it all over the county roads and highways. This makes travel seemingly difficult at times. It’s easy to get a bit of road rage as Farmer Joe putts along, traveling from field to field. It just comes with the territory.


I was driving home from school the other day, when I met a big truck on the highway. The man behind the wheel threw up a finger at me… no, not that finger. He passed me saying “hello” with the good ole “farmer’s wave.” Now, if you don’t know what that looks like, it’s just a nod of the head as the index finger leaves the wheel saying, “hey there.” Quite friendly, if you asked me.

This is just one of the perks of living in rural Iowa. Because everybody knows everybody, I suppose it would be rude not to wave. Growing up, I was always waving. I waved at my neighbors, friends, and strangers passing through town. It really didn’t matter; it was just a habit I have become accustomed to.

The farmers are spending late nights in the fields wrapping up this year’s harvest. They are putzing along the highways, waving at every car in sight. Welcome to your average Iowa fall harvest.

No comments:

Post a Comment